Monday, July 23, 2012

Pop a Cork for the 2 Year Anniversary


     This couldn't be a more momentous day, and I am proud to wish 1D a very happy second birthday.
     On that note, today I created a decorated cork board by repurposing an old and broken cork trivet I literally had to pull out of the garbage.  ( completely clean I may add, I'm not that weird )


Yourrr supplies:

Fabric (red, white, and blue)
Fabric scissors
Anything cork (:
Mod podge
Paint brushes
Supplies for super duper push pins:

Push pins
Brush on gloss
Paint brushes
Small paper cups
Ultra fine glitter

     1. The reason my family had to retire our cork circle was because it completely cracked in half. And as the saying goes, one mans trash is another mans treasure. I liked the half circle look, so I just took a serrated knife and evened out the bottom.


     2. Next take your blue fabric, and cut out whatever shape your cork is making it slightly larger.


     3. Cover the front of the cork with a nice layer of mod podge with your brush and place onto the fabric. I suggest letting it then dry completely. It will make the next step a lot less messy.


     4. Once the front is dry, take your fabric scissors and make little snips along the edge. ( I lack of a better way of describing them.. I suggest checking out the pic )


     5. Cover the sides of the cork and the little fabric flags in mod podge and fold them up one at a time. Again, let them dry completely.


     6. While your waiting for it to dry, start with your white fabric and cut out the four strips needed to make the flag.  Do the same thing with the red. Make sure you lay them all out together, checking the length and width and making sure it all looks right.


     7. Grab the mod podge again, and brush some onto the front of your cork (on top of the blue fabric) where the white is going to go. Stick down the fabric and repeat with your red fabric.


     8. Let dry. ( you could help it out a little with the hair dryer, on cool)
     9. While I was waiting I took out some of my push pins to "sparkle". In the paper cup, mix together a small amount of the gloss and glitter. Stir with a paint brush.


     10. Find something to stick the pins in so they stand up, I used our bathroom tissue box (but lets not tell my mom that one)


     11. Using the glitter gloss brush on a nice layer. let it dry.


     12. This step is optional. You can (a) leave your board as is (b) layer on one coat of the plain gloss (c) be a little crazy like me and add some of the glitter gloss. i used clear glitter, just on the red. i couldn't resist! i am now in the mood to glitter everything! 


     13. Once everything dries, you're done !



TADA ! Im thinking of making one with magnets on the back .. thoughts ? 
***** As always we encourage you to contact us with your thoughts of our crafts. send us comments, pictures, questions, compliments, complaints, suggestions, riddles, knock-knock jokes. ANYTHING. 

Contact us through  ...
twitter: @NiallnPotatoes
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/niallandthepotatoes53
lots of love 











     


1 comment:

  1. You should've made the pushpins be orange green and white for niall too! hah lol. But that's a good idea!

    ReplyDelete